The real estate industry offers some of the most exciting career opportunities available today. This challenging and rewarding profession offers the freedom to have your own business without the great financial risks associated with being self-employed. You set your schedule and determine your earning objectives with the option of building your own investment portfolio.
The pre-licensing process
With over 75 years in business, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices California Realty has chosen to partner with Kaplan Real Estate Education due to their long standing reputation for quality certifications. Kaplan offers both online and classroom style training: however, there are a number of reputable companies which can provide you with training, testing and your certifications. Many licensees also recommend taking a prep course immediately prior to taking your state exam. If you are serious about your real estate career, consider applying for your exam and license using the Combination Examination And License Application available through the Bureau of Real Estate (BRE). The BRE website provides detailed information on all aspects of getting your real estate license and may be accessed at BRE ~ Examinees.
Identifying the right brokerage
When making the decision to explore the tremendous opportunities offered in the real estate industry, it is vitally important that you make a wise choice as to the company you join. Many companies exist only in cyber space while others offer great promise with little support. Often new licensees are drawn to a brokerage where a friend works. We encourage you to identify your personal objectives and interview brokerages with those in mind.
Our focus is on assisting you in making the most informed decision about YOUR career in Real Estate.
Characteristics of a successful Realtor
Courtesy of Kaplan Real Estate Education
The world of residential real estate has many different players, including appraisers, home inspectors, property managers, contractors, bankers, mortgage loan officers, and government agencies, as well as prospective buyers and sellers. But, the workhorses of the typical real estate transaction are the people that coordinate the process—the real estate agents and brokers.
A good real estate agent is similar in nature to a conductor of a symphony, coordinating the different players to make a successful transaction a reality. At different points in the process, the real estate agent is a salesperson, a buyer’s advocate, an analyst, a business manager, a consultant, a negotiator, and a marketer, just to name a few. We have found there are a number of qualities and traits that successful real estate professionals share.
- 10. Problem solver mindset. Do you enjoy coming up with creative solutions to problems or issues? Many successful real estate agents know how to properly showcase a house to make it more marketable and develop creative MLS listings to attract the right buyers.
- 9. Self-motivated entrepreneur. Having a desire to control your own professional destiny and be your own boss is a trait shared by top real estate professionals. To be successful in real estate requires a high degree of self-motivation, drive, and smart decision making.
- 8. Honesty and integrity. Your professional reputation is crucial to a long and successful career in real estate. Becoming a member of the National Association of REALTORS® is one way to show you practice high ethical standards. To become a member, you must pledge to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
- 7. Hustle and tenacity. Being a top producing real estate agent requires a great work ethic. You must have the tenacity to pursue every lead and the hustle to aggressively market your clients’ properties in order to have success. It’s not just about putting in a lot of time—it’s about working smart, putting in the right amount of time, and doing whatever is necessary to close the deal.
- 6. Interest in houses and architecture. Having a true interest in houses and architecture can give you an advantage over other brokers and salespersons. If your knowledge and interest level is apparent in conversations, your clients will see that you care about the industry you’re in.
- 5. Engaging personality. A good real estate agent doesn’t just sell properties—they sell themselves. It’s important to show your real personality. People will respond to you if you have a great attitude, are personable and honest, have confidence in your abilities, and get a sense of fulfillment by serving others.
- 4. Attention to detail. Paying close attention to the details is imperative for your real estate career. A complete real estate agent is attentive to the unique needs of their individual clients. If you are organized, follow up with leads, communicate well, and pay attention to the needs of your clients, you will close more deals.
- 3. Understand the local housing market. A top producing real estate agent appreciates and utilizes the nuances that make a specific community’s housing market and pricing strategy unique. Success comes from identifying and developing a focus or niche in the local real estate market that allows you to distinguish yourself from the competition.
- 2. Build a network of connections. Successful real estate agents have a vast network of contacts within the market they serve. This list of connections should include other real estate agents and brokers, potential buyers and sellers, and all the other players in the real estate industry, such as appraisers, home inspectors, and mortgage loan officers.
- 1. Knowledge is power. Staying up-to-date on the latest topics in real estate and in the local market will allow you to service clients more effectively. Continuing education and professional development are doors to opportunity that you can utilize to expand your business options and stay at the forefront of the real estate field.
At the end of the day, you get out of it what you put into it. There is a certain level investment needed (time, energy, and money) to make any business venture successful. Real estate is no different. If you are passionate about real estate and have similar traits to those outlined here, you have a great shot at having a long and successful real estate career.
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices California Realty is looking for people who are serious about their real estate career.
Take a good look at your current career. Are you where you want to be today? Are you headed toward where you'd like to be tomorrow? If not, now's the time to consider a career with the BHHS Real Estate network.
Flexible hours and a strong income that reflects just how much you put into your career are only a few of the potential benefits. You"ll also reap the rewards of working for a company dedicated to quality and integrity.